KANN ALPHA is the third product in the KANN series of Digital Audio Players from Astell&Kern.
Released October 2020, KANN ALPHA is not only an ultra-high output powerhouse, capable of driving any headphone or IEM, it is also the first DAP to feature a 4.4mm balanced output that is completely noise-free - thanks to a built-in independent structure that completely blocks interference from unused outputs, preventing noise from occurring.
KANN ALPHA has not forgotten the essence of being a portable DAP, so you can enjoy a near-perfect sound experience wherever you are.
In order to minimise contact noise from the output, a gold PVD coating method is applied to the headphone connector instead of the typical rings used by other products. This improves both design and function.
By adopting the NDICS Pentaconn 4.4mm connector, KANN ALPHA not only satisfies the requests of users, but the implementation boasts excellent quality and durability.
This digital audio player also boasts excellent performance measurement for crosstalk. Channel crosstalk is how much signal leaking there is between the L and R channels. As evident with the newly-developed audio circuit design, KANN ALPHA features a never before seen Crosstalk measurement of -141dB(High Gain), which is unmatched by any other portable audio products in its class.
KANN ALPHA supports the same powerful 12Vrms output as the existing KANN CUBE, however the player has been optimized to be more compact. This is achieved through the miniaturization of numerous parts such as resistors and capacitors, and by rearranging various components and through circuit optimization. This resulted in the modification of more than 60 parts during the development process.
Ultra-small tantalum capacitors (which were developed exclusively for Astell&Kern through a collaboration with Matsuo Electric in Japan) and used to meet the KANN ALPHA's high performance requirements, supply stable power to the player and suppress electrical noise.
The redesigned power circuit used in KANN ALPHA also allows the player to achieve 14+ hours of continuous playback.
KANN ALPHA is also the first A&K player to use Bluetooth 5.0. The latest Bluetooth version provides high sound quality with the convenience of wireless playback to headphones and IEMs. Bluetooth 5.0 features faster transmission speed and greater range compared to Bluetooth 4.2, therefore providing a more stable wireless connection.
Both LDAC and Qualcomm® aptX™ HD is supported to provide portable-loving audiophiles with the best wireless sound possible.
The high-quality sound that Astell&Kern is known for can now be heard when using Bluetooth earphones, headphones, and speakers.
- The first Astell&Kern DAP to feature a 4.4mm balanced output
- Complete separation of balanced lines to provide noise-free output
- Crosstalk of 141dB and top-notch audio performance through a complete circuit redesign
- Powerful 12Vrms ultra-high output support
- 14.5 hours of continuous playback
- Equipped with the latest version of Bluetooth, Bluetooth 5.0
- Artistic design, ultra-precision metal shaping technology
- Model: KANN ALPHA
- Body Color: Onyx Black
- Body Material: Aluminium
- Display: 4.1inch HD 720 x 1280 Touch Display
- Supported Audio Formats: WAV, FLAC, WMA, MP3, OGG, APE, AAC, ALAC, AIFF, DFF, DSF, MQA
- Sample Rates: PCM 8kHz - 384kHz (8/16/24/32bits per Sample) / DSD Native DSD64(1bit 2.8MHz), Stereo / DSD128 (1bit 5.6MHz), Stereo / DSD256 (1bit 11.2MHz), Stereo
- Output Levels: High - Unbalanced 6Vrms / Balanced 12Vrms (Condition No Load), Mid - Unbalanced 4Vrms / Balanced 8Vrms (Condition No Load), Low - Unbalanced 2Vrms / Balanced 4Vrms (Condition No Load)
- DAC: ESS ES9068AS x2 (Dual DAC)
- CPU: Quad-Core
- Decoding: Support up to 32bit / 384kHz Bit-to-Bit Playback
- Input: USB Type-C input (for charging PC & MAC)
- Outputs: Unbalanced Out (3.5mm) / Optical Out(3.5mm)
- Balanced Out: (2.5mm, only 4-pole supported 4.4m, only 5-pole supported)
- Wi-Fi: 802.11 b/g/n (2.4GHz)
- Bluetooth: V5.0 (A2DP, AVRCP, Qualcomm® aptX™ HD, LDAC)
- Dimensions: 68.3W x 117H x 25D (mm)
- Weight: 316g
- Feature Enhancements: Firmware upgrades supported (OTA)
- Frequency Response: ±0.021dB (Condition: 20Hz~20kHz) Unbalanced / ±0.024dB (Condition: 20Hz~20kHz) Balanced ±0.21dB (Condition: 20Hz~70kHz) Unbalanced / ±0.155dB (Condition: 20Hz~70kHz) Balanced
- Signal to Noise Ratio: 116dB @ 1kHz, Unbalanced / 117dB @ 1kHz, Balanced
- Crosstalk: -128dB @ 1kHz, Unbalanced / -136dB @ 1kHz, Balanced
- THD+N: 0.0003% @ 1kHz, Unbalanced / 0.0005% @ 1kHz, Balanced
- IMD SMPTE: 0.0003% 800Hz 10kHz(4:1) Unbalanced / 0.0003% 800Hz 10kHz(4:1) Balanced
- Output Impedance: Unbalanced Out 3.5mm (0.8ohm) / Balanced out 2.5mm (2.0ohm), 4.4mm(1.8ohm)
- Clock Jitter: 25ps(Typ)
- Reference Clock Jitter: 250 Femto Seconds(VCXO)
- Capacity: 5,600mAh 3.8V Li-Polymer Battery
- Playback Time: About 14.5 hours (Standard : FLAC, 16bit, 44.1kHz, Vol.80, LCD Off, Low Gain)
- Charge Time: About 3.5 hours (9V/1.67A Fast Charging) / 5hours (5V/2A General Charging)
- Built-in Memory: 64GB [NAND]
- External Memory: microSD (Max. 1TB) x1
- Supported OS: Windows 7,8,10 (32/64bit), MAC OS X 10.7 and up