You might not be familiar with the name Norma, but as soon as we heard it in our Demo room, we had to have it. We first came across the brand at the 2019 Hifi Show in Bristol and immediately wanted to have a longer listen. The DACs and CD players have incredible detail, with a natural musical soundstage. If you are in the market for a new CD player or DAC then Norma should be added to your audition list. We think you will be blown away by the performance.
Norma Revo DAC-1:
The new REVO DAC-1 represents one world’s best expressions in the realisation of Digital-to-Analogue converters. It uses technical solutions without compromises, creating the conditions for optimal listening of high-resolution files.
In this moment where we witness the proliferation of DACs for “computer music”, exclusively designed around the parameters of the so-called technical modernity and cost reduction to the detriment of the potential sound performance of high resolution devices, NORMA proposes a DAC which is highly sophisticated in all aspects relevant to sound output. You can finally truly appreciate the actual quality of high resolution files, without the limitations imposed by inadequate implementation.
NORMA is pleased to present the new REVO DAC-1 Digital Source. It is interesting both for its outstanding technical content and for its versatility, combined with the rigour of NORMA musical tradition.
The NORMA REVO DAC-1 offers a complete set of digital inputs. There is a full bandwidth USB input (192.0 KHz) together with 4 SPDIF inputs; Coaxial, Optical and XLR. All the features for an advanced digital source are contained within a single frame, and they are able to meet the most demanding user’s needs with no limitations, both in terms of versatility as well as in listening quality. The same conversion section and output stages that made the REVO CDP-1R unique are employed in REVO DAC-1 enabling it to reach world class reproduction levels.
The NORMA DAC-1 enables the user to manage and store all digital parameters independently for each input. For instance, it is possible to enable the over-sampling feature at any frequency as the user wishes, as well as disable it if undesired.
It is also possible to select the Master Clock source between the Low-Jitter local oscillator and the input signal’s one. Finally, it is possible to vary the up-sampler parameters, the digital filter’s response, the absolute phase, and the volume of the output signal. All of this can be carried out both via the local controls as well as by remote control.
- 5 digital inputs, USB, 2 x SPDIF RCA, SPDIF OPTICAL, AES-EBU.
- USB input and SPDIF full bandwidth, up to 24 Bit / 192 KHz.
- Selection of the oversampling frequency 44.1-48.0-88.2-96.0-176.4-192.0 KHz or AUTO.
- Full customisation for each digital input on all parameters, including the value of oversampling.
- Possibility to use as the master A/D clock source the local oscillator or the clock form input signal.
- Two separate local clock oscillators for the two values . 22MHz/24 MHz (44.1/48KHz).
- Local Oscillator high stability, low Jitter and low phase noise.
- Configuration of one of the 2 RCA inputs as digital output.
- Two PCM 24 Bit Digital to Analogue converters.
- Digital filter x8 oversampling.
- User selectable filter roll-off (Sharp & Slow).
- Proprietary I-V architecture conversion.
- Analogue output stage based with full discrete devices amplifier.
- Extreme low noise, high resolution and high speed.
- Wide band ( >2 MHz ) schematic topology.
- RCA and Balanced output connections.
- Separate power supply for Digital and Analogue Output stages.
- High filtering capacity with numerous low impedance capacitors.
- 13 Power supply regulators.
- Full aluminium non-magnetic frame.
- Toroidal transformer specially designed for audio applications.
- Remote control of all functions.
IN1 : USB, 2.0 High Speed
IN2 : SPDIF RCA, 75Ohms
IN3 : AES/EBU XLR, 110Ohms
IN4 : TOSLINK OPTICAL, 96 KHz, (192.0 KHz may be achieved, but not guaranteed)
IN5 : SPDIF RCA, 75Ohms (IN5 can be set as SPDIF Output by CD Mechanism)
Sampling Frequencies: 44.1KHz, 88.2KHz, 176.4KHz, 48.0KHz, 96.0KHz, 192.0KHz
UpSampler Frequencies: 44.1KHz, 88.2KHz, 176.4KHz, 48.0KHz, 96.0KHz, 192.0KHz, AUTO MODE
Based on TI SRC4392
Clock performances: +/- 2ppm typ. at 25°, +/- 10ppm at 60°
Digital Filter: Slow & Sharp mode, based on TI DF1706
De-emphasis: 44.1KHz, 48.0KHz, auto e manual mode
Connections Outputs : Line RCA output, XLR Balanced
Output Voltage: 3.0 V RMS (+10 dBV) RCA (at 0 dB), 6.0 V RMS (+16 dBV) XLR(at 0 dB)
Output Impedance: 200 ohm
Analogue Output Filter: 0,0 to 180 kHz +/- 3 dB
Analogue Stage Frequency Response: 0,0 to 2MHz +/- 3 dB
Configuration: Solid state
Oversampling: DF 1706 8 x Digital Filter
Oversampling Filter: User selectable Sharp & Slow Roll-off filter response.
D/A Converter: PCM 1704 Multibit 24 Bit D/A converter
I/V Conversion: I/V Conversion by proprietary topology with discrete component
Output Stage: Proprietary topology with discrete component, high linearity & low noise
Power Supply: 230v Ac/50Hz
Dimensions (HxWxD): 75 x 430 x 350 mm
Weight: 10 Kg