Project DAC Box DS2 Ultra
High-quality, feature packed DAC with DSD support
Manufacturer part number:
Box Design DAC Box DS2 Ultra
The DAC Box DS2 Ultra is a true high-end digital-analogue converter, with optimal fidelity and a wide feature set for use in almost any digital hi-fi system.
Built around the premium Asahi Kasei Microdevices AK4490 DAC chip, the DAC Box DS2 Ultra works with digital signals up-to 32-bit / 768kHz and DSD256 (DoP). The additional AK4137EQ sample rate converter with Velvet Sound technology up-scales all signals to 768kHz for minimal signal loss and enables the built-in filters (5 to choose from) and sound modes (3 to choose from) to have a greater impact. With this chip set configuration, the DAC Box DS2 Ultra can deliver the same rich, musical sound-field, with accurate bass reproduction and minimal distortion, as the superior Pre Box DS2 Digital.
The DAC Box DS2 boasts six digital input options. The two coaxial and three optical inputs are limited to 24-bit / 192kHz signals, where the more advanced signals are reserved for the Type-B USB input. The USB input utilises asynchronous USB technology, based on XMOS designs, for playback of high-resolution files. This high-resolution coverage spreads to 11.2MHz DSD256 files, where the design of the DAC uses DSD Direct Path for un-modulated signal transmission (DoP).
Operation of the DAC Box DS2 Ultra is effortlessly simple via the clearly marked front-panel controls. Internally, it boasts the same 4-layer PCB boards as other DS2 products, and the output stage is configured with solid-state Class A circuitry for added analogue warmth and low output impedance.
The DAC Box DS2 Ultra is a real high-end offering for digital audio enthusiasts who demand the most from their hi-fi equipment.
- Top-grade AK4490 D/A chip (32-bit PCM 768kHz / DSD256)
- 6 Inputs: 1x USB, 3x optical (TOSlink®), 2x coax (S/PDIF)
- Up to 32bit/768kHz asynchronous USB (XMOS technology)
- DSD64, DSD128 & DSD256 (DSD over PCM)
- Audio Class 2 (USB 2.0 High Speed) driver for Windows included
- Up to 24bit/192kHz for optical & coax inputs
- 5 selectable digital filter characteristics
- 3 selectable sound modes
- High-end ultra low phase oscillator with superior noise rejection
- RCA line level solid-state analogue output stage
- Ultra linear & ultra low noise circuitry
- Separate power supplies for every stage with advanced filter technology
- Upgradeable with optional linear power supply Power Box DS2 Sources
- Full metal casing in silver or black