The Pre Box DS2 Digital is the ultimate system hub. This stylish, compact pre-amplifier boasts ultimate flexibility thanks to its built-in phono stage, 32-bit DSD-capable DAC, Bluetooth receiver and separate headphone amplifier.
Based around the same AK4490 D/A converter as the new DAC Box DS2 Ultra, the Pre Box DS2 Digital accommodates USB, Optical and Coaxial inputs for playback of high resolution music files up-to 32-bit /768 kHz PCM and DSD256 (DoP). The AK4490 from Asahi Kasei Microdevices is a high-end converter with five digital filters built-in for further tailoring of the sound, and all PCM signals are up-sampled to 768kHz for optimal fidelity and minimal signal loss. Similarly, the AK4137EQ sample-rate converter features three “sound modes” for ultimate personalisation.
The use of this chip-set alongside Pro-Ject’s advanced knowledge of analogue sound means the Pre Box DS2 Digital is capable of delivering rich, musical sound-field with accurate bass reproduction and minimal distortion.
In addition to the advanced DAC features, the Pre Box DS2 Digital also boasts a built-in phono stage with Moving Magnet (MM) and Moving Coil (MC) compatibility. The simple switch on the front panel makes the pre-amplifier compatible with a wide range of turntables, and the knowledge acquired through Pro-Ject’s coveted Phono Box range ensures the sound is exactly as you’d expect from a premium analogue hi-fi system. The built-in Subsonic Filter also adds a roll-off filter, for complicated environments.
The Pre Box DS2 Digital boasts many more conveniences including the aptX® Bluetooth receiver for high-quality wireless streaming from Bluetooth-enabled devices. But on top of the various input options, there’s also an array of output options available to suit any type of system.
With one fixed analogue output, a variable analogue output, a sub-woofer output and dedicated 6.3mm headphone jack output, the Pre Box DS2 Digital can serve a variety of functions to suit any hi-fi system. There’s also an optional +6dB Gain boost for added impact in the audio output.
The Pre Box DS2 Digital is easy to control either by the front panel, or the supplied remote control. The 12V trigger output on the back panel allows for other compliant devices (such as the Amp Box DS2) to switch on and off when the Pre Box DS2 Digital is controlled.
Combined, all these features work to make the Pre Box DS2 Digital the most versatile pre-amplifier and DAC available today. But in addition to the great features, it also delivers a true audiophile performance that perfectly complements the signature Pro-Ject sound, with a foot-tapping, musically involving soundstage.
- Premium pre-amplifier with extensive inputs and settings
- Built-in phono stage (MM/MC)
- Analogue Line input
- Four digital inputs (1x USB, 2x optical, 1x coax)
- aptX® Bluetooth for wireless streaming
- Premium AK4490 DAC chip (32-bit PCM 768kHz / DSD256)
- Up-to 32-bit / 768kHz asynchronous USB playback (XMOS technology)
- DSD64, DSD128 & DSD256 playback (DSD over PCM)
- Up-to 24-bit / 192kHz for optical & coax inputs
- Five selectable digital filter characteristics
- Three selectable sound modes
- Headphone output on the front (6.3mm socket)
- High-end ultra low phase oscillator with superior noise rejection
- RCA line level (fixed or variable) solid-state analogue output stage
- Ultra linear & ultra low-noise circuitry